learn about ‘English’ tea | £95 per person
This practical workshop will demystify this popular beverage, tea, clarify what is characterised as ‘British’ tea today, and how this ‘British’ tea differs from the China teas that arrived in Great Britain in the 17th Century that enjoy a revival today.
This relaxed and informal tutored tea tasting will give you the opportunity to taste and examine at least twenty different teas. Caroline will take you through typical China teas that arrived in the early days of British tea drinking, through to the ‘Empire’ teas cultivated in India, Ceylon and later East Africa. We shall then taste some present day ‘house’ blends, such as English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Afternoon Blend that dominate the world tea market today.
How to brew a good cup of tea
Caroline will discuss different processing methods (the most common being Black, Green or Oolong) and how the character of the tea will change according to the season in which it is picked. Brewing basics such as correct water temperature, water quality and ph balance will also be covered.
By the end of the class YOU WILL …..
- Understand the progression of types of tea consumed in Great Britain,
- How to identify the difference in character of teas grown in China and India.
- Appreciate the varied results of different processing methods.
- Realise the importance of the water quality and water temperature when brewing tea.
- be more informed as to what to look for when buying tea for yourself.
Tutored tea tasting, Course notes, Tasting Sheets, Tea Samples, Light lunch.
This tutored tea tasting class is available available on request. There is a minimum fee £250. Please contact Caroline to discuss your particular requirements.